Friday, September 11, 2020

September 11--Be Selective

The art of being wise is knowing what to overlook.  --William James

    These are wise words indeed. A friend several times has reminded me, on the topic of forgiveness, that if we don't get offended, there's nothing to forgive. Granted, that may be easier said than done. It's helpful to remember that every situation is neutral. It's our perception and reaction that bring in any emotional upheaval, and we can choose our perception and reaction. The more we can overlook, the more peaceful we remain. 
    I have a lofty goal of remembering that what others do is about them, not me, and we are each doing our best in any given moment. We can't completely know another person, even those closest to us, so we don't know exactly where they are coming from, their triggers, hurts and so on. When I happen to be a target of someone's poor behavior, I strive to see it as I just happened to be in the "wrong place at the wrong time." 
    I can too easily get into the emotional charge of self-righteous anger. That's my excellent indicator that I am not overlooking properly. There's virtually nothing outside of me that I can control, so it behooves me to consistently practice overlooking. 
    Let us not, however, overlook injustice in its many forms. That is not a wise practice, as we are seeing so clearly now in our country. 
    Appreciating free will,
        Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment