Tuesday, September 22, 2020

September 22--Essential Darkness

Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word "happy" would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. --C. G. Jung

    I have a mostly happy life. Something within me knows the need for contrast, I guess, because regularly some darkness overshadows the "happy." The darkness isn't sadness very often. I'm more prone to anger. I'm guessing that is because anger was vastly frowned upon in my home growing up. We were swimming in it, but God forbid it should be expressed or constructively handled. Over several decades, I've learned to be curious about my bouts of anger. I'm in the midst of one now.
    Darkness is an essential and inherent part of each day's earthly cycle, and so it is with us. We all have shadows, and we hide them at our peril. Resistance to our inner dark spots makes for discomfort and eliminates the possibility for true happiness. Curiosity and awareness gives us a choice as to how to use the shadow for our benefit. There is energy in our darkness that can be put to good use if we make the conscious choice. 
    Looking specifically at sadness, I don't know how one could go through life without any. Those dear to us, both human and animal, pass away. Natural disasters wreck homes, lives, landscapes. Our beautiful planet is damaged by human carelessness and greed. Politics is a veritable gusher of sadness. There's plenty of sadness to balance our happiness. The challenge is in keeping the balance without getting buried in the darkness. 
    Grateful for the morning light,
        Leta




No comments:

Post a Comment