Monday, October 7, 2024

October 7--Thanks, Dad!

You are your best thing.  --Toni Morrison

    I can't trade me in for a new me, nor can you. In the big picture viewpoint of Spirit, each of us is perfect just as we are. Few of us, however, see ourselves that way. And most of us have or have had folks around us who would prefer that we be different somehow. I have a t-shirt that designates me as the "World's Okayest Pickleball Player." I'm good with that. I think we should all have shirts that identify us as "World's Okayest Human." 
    Today on his birthday, I remember my dad. He was born in 1917 and passed in 2000. I miss him every day. I believe I got my "numbers nerd" personality from him. He was a great businessman, kind and generous. One of my favorite memories is riding in the truck with him to deliver fresh-cut lumber to his customers--New Holland, Standard Steel, and several cabinet makers. Another memory was the nightly post-supper dish routine with me washing and him drying. I ironed many shirts and handkerchiefs for him. In our family of addicts, his substance of choice was alcohol. Mercifully, he was never mean to me and he always had my back. 
    Thanks, Dad!
        Leta
Me and Dad, a llloooonnnggg time ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment