Sunday, October 6, 2024

October 6--Nerding Out

You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.  --Harper Lee

    There are loads of people I don't understand, wherein I can't begin to comprehend their point of view. That would include the very wealthy, who seem to me infinitely greedy, or those in politics, who seem driven solely by the insatiable desire for power. I've led a comfortable life, so it is difficult for me to understand the struggles of the very poor or homeless, or those who have had their lives devastated by natural disasters. The vastness of things that motivates people is so broad, I have to accept that there will always be plenty I don't understand. Waging war on fellow humans probably tops the list. 
    Nerding out... yesterday, for the 27th year in a row, I completed my swimming goal of 100 miles. Yes, of course, I have kept track of this in a spreadsheet. (My husband says I have "spreadshat" it.) This includes 117,052 laps, which works out to an average of 120 miles per year. I also keep track of my times playing golf or pickleball. What can I say? I love numbers and keeping track of these things motivates me. There is another swimmer whom I see often at the pool who already has over 500 miles in for this year. That keeps me (sort of) humble! And it will keep me swimming for the rest of this year and beyond. I am extremely grateful for the excellent YMCAs we enjoy in Wichita.
    Heading for the pool, again,
        Leta
One of many lovely Wichita YMCA lap pools

No comments:

Post a Comment