Wednesday, February 9, 2022

February 9--New World

Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive. And it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.  --Anais Nin 

    I have been blessed in life with many wonderful friends. Before I settled in Wichita in 1983, I had moved around quite a bit, so I had friends in several places. Some friendships "stuck," others went by the wayside as we each moved on in life. 
    It is fun to ponder the new world each friend birthed in me. I was raised in a very strong "us vs. them" household, so it was a breath of fresh air to have friends who graciously opened the worlds of race, religion and sexual orientation to me. Road trip and overseas travel partners have explored many a new landscape with me. My varied work life has been fun and successful because friends saw my potential and pulled forth skills that were a "new world" to me. 12-step program friends birthed a world of addiction recovery in me that has made all the other friendships, new worlds, and adventure possible. 
    With each new friend made, we have the possibility to explore his or her world, too. Everyone's life expands with friendship. 
        Leta
A favorite "new world"--pet ownership with friend Barney



No comments:

Post a Comment