Friday, February 11, 2022

February 11--Need/Love

 Immature love says: "I love you because I need you." Mature love says: "I need you because I love you."  --Erich Fromm

    OK. I get that. I would offer, however, that within each lover there is both mature and immature. Sometimes we get mixed up. Need and love can be unclear. 
    I recognize the immature love in me in the many ways I need my husband to do "guy stuff" around the house, like mowing, putting air in vehicle tires, changing oil and furnace filters. (I realize I'm taking a literary risk calling such things "guy stuff.") For sure I could do those things but I love my husband because those things are "his thing." 
    Mature love--I hope I've got some of this in me after nearly 36 years of marriage. I can't conceive of life without my husband. I love hanging out and gabbing with him. Currently we are in a hot Wordle competition. I know it was true love when, during the boredom of the pandemic lockdown, we worked together to reorganize and paint the inside of our garage, and we are still married! 
    Still working at it,
        Leta


No comments:

Post a Comment