Tuesday, August 4, 2020

August 4--Joy or Roadblock?

The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing that stands in the way.  --William Blake

     I go to a lot of estate sales, and often observe that one person's junk is another person's treasure. As with the tree mentioned above, it's all in how you look at it. 
     It's a bit amusing to me that a tree is the focus for this perspective quote. When I was growing up, the family business was a sawmill in the boondocks of Pennsylvania. There are zillions of trees in that state, and I miss them very much. But to my dad, each tree was money--walnut worth more than oak, oak worth more than pine. Trees supported our family, and my dad loved having his own business.
     How many times have we witnessed one or more lovely, well-established trees being wiped out for "progress"? There's an old song lyric that goes "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot." 
     Our beliefs determine the perspective with which we view things, so it's a worthwhile exercise to examine those beliefs. Some may be keeping us focused on obstacles rather than joy. 
     I still love the smell of sawdust,
               Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment