Saturday, August 15, 2020

August 15--Garden Earth

If you look the right way, you can see that the whole world is a garden. 
--Frances Hodgson Burnett

    Yes, it is. I love watching shows on Netflix about planet Earth and the diversity of life on it. Whether it be a setting of flowers, rocks, forest, sand, prairie grasses, waterfalls, animals, aquatic life or human life, we can look at it as a garden. I am in continual awe that in our solar system of rocky, uninhabitable, even stormy planets, Earth stands out as an amazing jewel that so powerfully supports a nearly infinite variety of life. 

    Gardens are a manifestation of great creativity, from the small pot of flowers or herbs to giant ecosystems. I love to visit botanical gardens and see the ingenious ways that plant material is used to create art. At Chihuly Garden and Glass in Seattle, colorful glass art is displayed in the gardens along with the flowers--it is an astoundingly beautiful combination. One of my favorite events of the year is when our Wichita botanical garden, Botanica, does the Christmas time "Festival of Lights." Volunteers create a display of millions of lights all over the garden, including lights moving to music. Botanica becomes a garden of colorful lights. 

    Over the past few years, I've trimmed my own garden down to a smaller size, but I still enjoy growing things and caring for this spot on Earth. I especially enjoy sitting on my swing and admiring the handiwork. Gardening is physical, yes, but it's also a spiritual activity for me--grounding, nurturing, appreciating the wonder and bounty of nature. 

     Grateful for the beauty surrounding me,
        Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment