Sunday, May 7, 2023

May 7--Compassion Demands Action

Compassion is an unstable emotion. It needs to be translated into action, or it withers.  --Susan Sontag

    I think of all the compassion that snaps into action when a natural disaster strikes. The devastation is unimaginable, yet compassion and resilience rise to the top and take over in recovery. 
    That's a big example. A small example is the act of giving blood. I'm healthy, and I do this regularly. It takes only an hour of my time every eight weeks, my common blood type is very much needed, and it may save someone's life. Big needles don't bother me. It's a bonus to me because it makes me eat in a healthy manner to keep up my iron levels. 
    There are examples of compassion all around us. It is what makes folks adopt animals. It is a commitment to love and care for a critter for years. I believe humans are naturally compassionate--we are cared for lovingly when we enter this world and as we grow, we seek to share that loving care with others. My son has said that he and his wife want their son (my grandson!) to be a compassionate human, and they are nurturing him to be passionate about compassion. 
    Today is a good day to be kind.
        Leta
More Colorado beauty,
compliments of our compassionate Mother Earth

No comments:

Post a Comment