Tuesday, February 9, 2021

February 9--Ripples Through Generations

Everybody talks about wanting to change things and help and fix--but ultimately all you can do is fix yourself. Because if you can fix yourself, it has a ripple effect.  --Rob Reiner

    I know the ripple effect to be true. I've witnessed it working both ways. I was raised in a multi-generational family of addicts who had no inkling of a need to fix themselves, and the "ripple effect" was a set of three offspring who all turned out to be addicts. One of my brothers has passed. The other brother and I have spent decades in recovery. One thing that is front-and-center in the 12-Step programs is "ultimately all you can do is fix yourself." A person determined to improve their well-being by releasing self-destructive behaviors is a powerful force for good, and such folks uniting to carry the message definitely has a ripple effect, even in multiple generations. Living life in a healthy and successful manner is noteworthy. People recognize it soul-to-soul, and it is a powerful example for good that spreads. Such is the concept of sponsorship in the 12-Step programs. 
    Here is my affirmative version of the Serenity Prayer: God grants me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. 
    Enjoying the ripples,
        Leta



No comments:

Post a Comment