Wednesday, February 17, 2021

February 17--Peace, Right Where We Are

You cannot find peace by avoiding life.  --Sir David Hare

    Well, I think you could. Maybe not forever. At least for a time. I've often enjoyed the fantasy of a comfy cabin (indoor plumbing essential!) beside a body of water, all to myself, no need to see another human for a LONG time. No responsibilities other than to be with myself and my thoughts. Letting the "outside world" do its thing without me. I feel great peace just thinking about that. Can you tell I'm an introvert?!?!!?
    I've had that fantasy for 65 years now, and it hasn't happened, and most likely won't. I've managed most days to find peace in the midst of life. I think the key is finding a healthy and successful way to deal with life, rather than substance abuse or any other numbing or distracting technique. A 12-Step program gave me that. Others may find it in a religious faith, or uniting in a group with a common purpose. Serenity is a daily choice, just like drama. Inner peace is priceless, and with grace, it spreads in ripples. (See the Feb 9 post for more on the ripple effect.) 
    In life, in peace,
        Leta

    Once we know that the entire physical world around us, all of creation, is both the hiding place and the revelation place for God, this world becomes home, safe, enchanted, offering grace to any who look deeply. --Richard Rohr


No comments:

Post a Comment