Tuesday, February 16, 2021

February 16--A Good Cry

I will not say, do not weep, for not all tears are an evil.  --J. R. R. Tolkien

    My first reaction to this was that no tears are ever evil. But I can see fake, manipulative tears as an evil. Let's set that thought aside. 
    We U.S. humans are far too reluctant to cry. It's seen as messy, uncomfortable, even embarrassing. It can make those witnessing tears feel like they need to fix something, which is really annoying both for the crier and the fixer. This is all balderdash. 
    If crying was not a vital function of the body, we would not have the ability to do so. It moves energy that needs to be released. I'm sure there are plenty of specific physiological functions crying performs, though I don't claim to know all that. I think there's a common fear that once one starts crying, they may never stop. That's just not possible. Tears do dry up eventually. It feels GOOD to have a good cry. That's why I've come to refer to crying as soul-rinsing. Given what we've all been through over the past year, I'd say plenty of soul-rinsing is in order. 
    One more thing... if you see a person crying, leave him alone. Don't pat her patronizingly, don't try to fix anything, and most of all, don't encourage him or her to stop. The chances of dying from crying are non-existent. 
    If you want to have a great cry, watch the movie, "The Art of Racing in the Rain." Have lots of tissues handy. 
        Leta



No comments:

Post a Comment