Sunday, November 8, 2020

November 8--Speak with Love

The only way to speak the truth is to speak lovingly.  --Henry David Thoreau

    I did not realize how much angst I was carrying relative to the presidential election outcome until it all went away yesterday afternoon. Last evening I listened to the speeches by Harris and Biden in Delaware. They spoke lovingly. I cried with relief. There was no need to analyze for lies. They spoke the truth, and the joy on the faces of the supporters who were present was glorious to see. History has been made--our first female Vice President. 
    To speak lovingly is really the only way to accomplish anything. Criticism, anger, condescension, mocking, threats--none of those modes of speech achieve anything but defensiveness, resistance and resentment. I remind myself, when faced with an interaction in which I want to achieve a goal, to take a few moments to breathe deeply, collect my thoughts, and hold the upcoming interaction in love, peace and kindness. I won't deny that there have been plenty of times where I simply wanted to "rip someone's head off." Those times gave me good examples of what doesn't work, and reminded me of the value of speaking lovingly. 
    After four years of lies spoken with no love, I am looking forward to "the better" I know that most of us humans are. 
    Leta


No comments:

Post a Comment