Thursday, November 5, 2020

November 5--Friendship

What draws people to be friends is that they see the same truth. They share it.
--C. S. Lewis

    I see this to be quite true in my relationships. For example, I am part of a group of eight that meets on Wednesday evenings via Zoom. We are scattered throughout the U.S., comically all blue-leaning voters living in very red states. We have an easy-going relationship because we all have fairly similar beliefs. We know where we stand with each other. It's easy to be around like-minded folks. 
    On the other hand, I have numerous family members who do not see "the same truth" that I see. We are on opposite ends of the political and religious spectrum. I love these folks dearly, but I can't work up a true, unrestrained feeling of friendship with them because there are those territories of discussion where we had best not go. I'm all for civil discussion, but time and experience has proven that's not likely. There is always a feeling of being "on guard," and that does not a true friendship make. 
    To quote Tama Kieves, "Only the people who 'get me' should get me. They deserve my time and energy." Given that our time here is not unlimited, it is perfectly reasonable that we elect to spend it with like-minded folks with whom we feel perfectly at ease. Friendship is an essential element of a happy life. 
    Loving my friends,
        Leta

😊😊😊😊😊


No comments:

Post a Comment