Sunday, April 5, 2020

April 5--I Dare Ya

If you dare nothing, then when the day is over, nothing is all you have gained. --Neil Gaiman

     When was the last time you took a risk? These days, going out to get groceries is taking a risk, with the COVID-19 virus running rampant.
     What I'm actually getting at here, however, is personal risk, the idea of putting one's ego in an uncomfortable position by attempting something new, something that makes the ego go into major discouragement mode... "You can't do that! What are you thinking?" I can think of several examples in my life such as sky-diving, zip-lining and assorted travel adventures.
     My husband is an awesomely talented musician who plays various string instruments and sings very well. My parents declared to me in my childhood, "There's no musical talent in the Miller family!" As a result, I've done a good job of living that belief, and I am completely intimidated musically around my husband, though he is totally encouraging. Yesterday, in a daring moment, I sang in front of him. All the musical bits on Facebook, including his, inspired me to play with a duet song that would be fun for us to do together. This may never go public, but it was a huge "dare" on my part to even attempt to sing in front of him. I can't remember ever doing that. While I still don't feel good about my singing ability, I sure do feel good about being brave enough to try. Honestly there was no potential danger involved other than embarrassment brought on strictly by myself. I went to bed feeling good about taking a huge step outside my comfort zone.
     I think the pandemic is causing a flowering of compassion and "leveling the playing field" wherein we are more encouraging of each other. That's a great environment to be daring.
     Do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do,
           Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment