Thursday, April 23, 2020

April 23--This is Life Now

Faith can give us the courage to face the uncertainties of the future.  --Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. 

     I certainly 😊 think we are looking at some "uncertainties of the future" these days. What an interesting and unique time to be alive! 

     I've had the sense, both within myself and others, that we tend to see the current situation (briefly, stay-at-home) as a break in the action of life. That is, we were living before all this, this is weird and unusual, and at some point we'll go back to living. That view of things causes us to miss much of great value. This is life! Yes, it's unprecedented, but this is life now. 
     I've found it helpful to ask myself some questions. When I look back at this time, how do I want to see myself as having lived through it? With energy, accomplishment and learning? With extra human contact and kindness? Or with isolation, depression, boredom and frustration? Did I do something to help others? Did I take care of myself like I normally would? (Like the "freshman 15" weight gain, we are working to avoid the Covid 19# weight gain.) Recognizing that my life was damn near perfect before the pandemic, why should that be any different now? Much to contemplate...
     In terms of accomplishment, I completed the Falling Water puzzle (see photo) that I started on April 3. I found assembling it to be a very meditative process. I enjoyed that aspect enough to order another puzzle, a Monet, which I expect will be equally challenging. I have also decided to return to painting... more to come on that.
     I close with a prayer by Teresa of Avila:
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing upset you.
Everything changes.
God alone is unchanging.
With patience all things are possible.
Whoever has God lacks nothing.
God alone is enough.
     Enjoying life now,
           Leta



No comments:

Post a Comment