Friday, April 10, 2020

April 10--Fearless

Let me not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless in facing them. Let me not beg for the stilling of my pain, but for the heart to conquer it.  --Rabindranath Tagore

     Being fearless was never as important and challenging as it is now, with a government that thrives on stirring up fear. The practice is self-serving, nauseating, depressing and embarrassing.
     I was successful yesterday in my mission to donate blood. I figured that of all places, the Red Cross should be pretty safe. Right inside the door, a man took my temperature and gave me a face mask to wear. That was my first time wearing one. There was plenty of social distancing, and the whole process was quick and easy. Kindness accomplished.
     I was delighted when the Red Cross worker told me that they are even busier than usual, having lots of first-time donors come in. While I have been donating for decades, and a little needle-stick is no big deal to me, I realize it can be quite a big deal for some folks. I applaud their bravery and kindness in donating.
     Moving on to the second part of the Tagore quote, I'd have to say that for the most part, I'd rather just have the "stilling of my pain." Developing the "heart to conquer it" is a much bigger project. In my own life, decades ago I begged to be relieved of overeating and excess weight. "God, please let me wake up thin and stay that way." Duh. Doesn't work that way. Instead I was led to a 12-step program that has gently led me through the life-long process of developing the heart to conquer the problem. Stilling of the pain is temporary. The heart to conquer it is a life-long blessing. It is the brave and bold heart that enables fearlessness.
     Appreciating the wisdom of the heart,
             Leta



No comments:

Post a Comment