Thursday, April 2, 2020

April 2--Mind Power

     The "Daily Peace" quote of the day is by Marcus Aurelius: "You have power over your mind--not outside events. Realize this and you will find strength."
     Never in our lifetimes have we had so little power over outside events, nor have such a great need to use the power of controlling the mind. A mind out of control dives deep into fear, worry, blame and anxiety.
     When our sons were younger and still living at home, they each had assigned chores, which, of course, they were not fond of completing. I told them repeatedly, "You always have a choice. You must do the task, but you can do it with a good attitude or a bad attitude. That's up to you." It was an early lesson in "power over your mind."
     Likewise, we can go through this current state of affairs with a good attitude or a bad attitude. It's up to us. There's no expectation that each of us is able to maintain a good attitude 100% of the time. Sometimes it's just too much, whatever "it" is. Of all the things that disturb me about the current situation, the worst for me is not knowing when I'll get to visit my Colorado family again. I have to use a lot of power over my mind to keep me from heading into that troublesome space.
     A well-known prayer, with my slight modification, states the above quote beautifully: "God grants me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." I like the affirmative version of this prayer, for I know that God/Spirit withholds nothing. The Spirit-given power over our minds truly is our greatest source of strength. Mighty mind is stronger than monkey-mind.
     Life is good!
             Leta

   

No comments:

Post a Comment