Sunday, April 28, 2024

April 28--Forgiveness

Serenity comes from the ability to say "Yes" to existence.  --Ayn Rand

    I'm leading a 12-Step meeting soon, and the topics "floating to the surface" for me are forgiveness and self-pity. 
    A need for forgiveness means that I think someone "done me wrong," and I'm feeling resentful about it. My tendency when this happens is to spend (too much) time in self-righteous self-pity. The BIG ONE, the huge disappointment/depression of the past year and a half is my most recent glaring example. I finally realized that no amount of angst on my part is going to change the aggravating circumstances, so it is time to suck it up, forgive and move on with life. This is yet another case of practice, practice, practice. Rarely is forgiveness a one-time act; usually it is a process. 
    The 12-Step program offers the "resentment prayer." When one has a resentment against a person, one prays for that person to enjoy all the good that the resenter would have for himself. It works, even if one does not mean a word of it, because the point is: prayer changes the one praying.  
    Life is letting go,
        Leta
Peonies blooming in my garden 😀

No comments:

Post a Comment