Thursday, April 25, 2024

April 25--The Big Pull

There is no greatness where there is not simplicity, goodness, and truth. 
--Leo Tolstoy

    My most recent thoughts about my dear brother lead me to magnets. I have lived in Kansas for over forty years, but there has always been a pull back east to family in Ohio and Pennsylvania. For a long time, my dad was the big magnet until he passed in 2000. Then my brother Arlie became the most powerful connection back east. I made many a journey eastward with two young sons to keep the family connection strong. I know from experience that few will make the journey out to Kansas. I am the one who has to sustain the connection. 
    Gardening is excellent therapy for me as I ponder life without my brother. Yesterday I planted five large pots of flowers. I've added brightly-colored pinwheels to each pot to hopefully deter the squirrels from ruining my handiwork. The pinwheels are right up there with pink-flamingo tacky, but I love them! 
    Life's small pleasures,
        Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment