Friday, April 30, 2021

April 30--Living Forwards

It is quite true what philosophy says: that life must be understood backwards. But then one forgets the other principle: that it must be lived forwards. 
--Soren Kierkegaard

    Ideally, we learn from the past, then let it go. Understanding where we have been, what we have experienced, and how all that affects us is quite enlightening. For me, it has given me an appreciation of myself and my ability to grow and change. That's "living forward"--using what we have come to understand about ourselves to imagine new ways of being. 
    I believe the best attitude for understanding one's life backwards is forgiveness. The sooner and more fully we can let go of wrongs committed by ourselves and others, the sooner we can adventure into a forward-moving life, free of the baggage of the past. I remind myself often that every single one of us is doing the best he/she can in the moment, whether or not it appears to be so from an outsider's perspective. This is an attitude of gentleness that eases my spirit.
    This, the final day of April, ends the month-long theme of growth. May Day begins an exploration of courage. 
    Bravely forging ahead,
        Leta


No comments:

Post a Comment