Wednesday, April 28, 2021

April 28--Focus: This Day

Always remember the future comes one day at a time.  --Dean Acheson

    Continuing with the pondering of one's life being easy, or not (see April 27 post), I noted that one reason my life is easy is that I practice living "one day at a time." Being a (former?) card-carrying control freak, this is huge progress and gigantic relief. I need focus only on today, and the next thing in front of me. Sure, I make plans for future days, but I strive to keep the focus on today. It is a huge relief to acknowledge that I don't have to get everything on my to-do list done today. I get things done in time as I am able, and should I suddenly leave this earthly life, my tasks not being done won't matter at all. 
    The one-day-at-a-time perspective lessens my tendency to worry. Jesus told us not to worry or be afraid, that tomorrow will take care of itself. Another favorite slogan of mine, "this, too, shall pass," helps me remember that even though life may not be to my liking this moment, things will be different shortly. Difficult circumstances are much easier to handle one day at a time. Sometimes life even requires "one hour at a time." 
    Being overwhelmed doesn't feel good. Let's keep the focus on what we can handle at the moment, and, of course, breathe. 
        Leta
A sense of humor is most helpful! 😉😉

No comments:

Post a Comment