Monday, April 26, 2021

April 26--A Little of This, A Little of That

The art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on. 
--Henry Havelock Ellis

    Holding on seems fairly easy. It seems we are oriented toward that. We see grown adults still living with parents. There is a TV show about obsessive hoarding. We cling to beliefs and patterns of living that no longer serve us. Holding on appears to maintain the status quo, and avoid the dreaded change. I believe, however, that holding on and attempts at controlling ultimately lead one backward, as the rest of the world moves forward. The January 6 Capitol riot was all about holding on, and we witnessed what a horrifying mess that made. 
    Letting go, on the other hand, takes conscious effort and, often, courage. I frequently consider the "fine mingling" in my interactions with my adult sons. I want to support and love them, but I don't want to meddle in their lives. It's a fine line. I encourage them to tell me when I need to hold on less and let go more. Letting go gets forced on us sometimes, as loved ones transition and relationships end. Change inevitably follows letting go--that's the whole point, really. Let go, change, grow. 
    Leta



No comments:

Post a Comment