Monday, November 7, 2022

November 7--Be SomeONE

How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something, but to be someone.  --Coco Chanel

    I'm having thoughts of ...
  • comfortable in my own skin
  • progress, not perfection
  • nothing to prove
  • live and let live
    A person comfortable in his/her own skin could be in the lowliest of positions, ruler of a country, or anywhere in between. Being true to oneself is a much more rewarding career than any occupational role. Note that we are always with ourselves. Jobs come and go. I was a store clerk, a legal secretary, a computer geek, a finance manager and a tax preparer. None of those defined me, even though the jobs were generally fun and satisfying at the time. 
    "Progress, not perfection" is a common 12-step program saying. Progress/growth/expansion is the natural process of life, while perfection does not exist (despite endless, absurd striving for such). I think a lot of perfection-seeking is a cover-up with "something" when one is not comfortable with the "someone" he/she is. Perfectionism leads to judgmentalism, not a characteristic to be cultivated by a serene "someone."
    In a world constantly demanding bigger, better, and more, taking a stance of "nothing to prove" is quite bold. Having nothing to prove is an internal stance of self-approval that does require accomplishing something to be fully aware of one's worth. 
    A "someone" who is practicing the first three naturally operates in "live and let live" mode. If I'm happy with myself, I don't need you to be different to make me happy. "How many cares one loses" when one stays out of other folks' business. 
    Good with where I'm at,
        Leta

Barney explores the neighbor's 
driftwood lawn display.

No comments:

Post a Comment