Friday, September 29, 2017

Success

From Maya Angelou: "Success is liking yourself, liking what you do and liking how you do it."
     I say, "Amen to that!" because I have been in the opposite place of not liking me, and therefore, I did not like what I did or how I did it. I did countless creative projects, but because I was not comfortable with myself, I didn't like what I created. Let's look at this from the end result and work backward... if you are never satisfied with what you do, it's not good enough or perfect enough or whatever enough, let that be a trigger to look into your relationship with yourself.
     I am reminded of my former self by my painting class adventures. I am tempted to feel dissatisfaction with my budding artist efforts, being a total rookie at painting. This is exasperated by another person in the class who paints beautifully, and has done so for many years, but she is never satisfied with what she does, always criticizing her own work, quite vocally. She's a profound example of where I do not want to go, as it would surely kill my joyful desire to paint.
     Ms. Angelou's words point to success as being quite simple, though not necessarily easy.
     Happy with me,
            Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment