Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Time

     A dear friend gifted me with the book titled "Daily Peace." It is a National Geographic publication with the subtitle, "Photos and Wisdom to Nourish Your Spirit." Each day has a quote and an outstanding photo of our planet's fabulous beauty. Each month has a theme, January's being transition.
     Today's quote is by Francis Bacon, "Time is the greatest innovator." There is an element of "duh" to that, as we've moved from early inventions of fire and the wheel to the Internet and airplanes. Human life over the centuries has been an ongoing process of innovation, and thus transition.
     Already in this young year and decade, only a few days into it, transition is happening in my life. We continue to adjust joyfully to our new dog, Barney. It's back-to-work time. I've restarted my MELT and yoga classes, and in short order, I'll be back at my three-month tax preparer job. An annual event that I have hosted for many years, a retreat at Timber Creek Retreat House, will be no more, due to procedural requirements they have imposed that I am not prepared to meet. That saddens me, as I love the place. But in the spirit of transition, I remember "everything has a lifespan." Those are mostly comforting words from my mentor, Dr. Chris Michaels. I am confident that something even more fun will enter my life to replace that event.
     Getting back to innovation, I want to share the experience my husband and I had in early December of last year. We test-drove a Tesla sedan. It's an all-electric car, on the leading edge of vehicle design, technology and comfort, truly a marvel of innovation. My husband and younger son have been interested in Teslas for years, researching them as they have developed over time. I just thought they look cool and listened patiently as my husband would report new innovations. My son and I visited the Tesla showroom in Denver in November, where I learned a lot more about the cool features, but we did not drive one. Then in December, on a visit to the Kansas City showroom, we drove one.
     OMG, it is like driving a rocket ship. BMW is going to have to stop referring to its cars as "the ultimate driving machine," because that is now the Tesla, in my opinion. Acceleration is instant. The car is powered by 7,000 (yes, 7,000!) AA-type batteries. They are warranted for eight years, and every two years, each battery is tested and replaced if need be. Everything is controlled by the computer screen in the dashboard center, even the "button" to open the glove box. We couldn't figure out how to turn the car off, so we just got out. That's how it turns off, when you get out. It's crazy the number of features the Teslas have. I could rave on and on. I sum it up by saying it is the most fun thing I have ever driven (and yes, I owned a BMW sedan for ten years). 
     Time is speeding up, and so is the pace of innovation. So much has been invented just in my lifetime of 64 years. I am thrilled and excited by humanity's creativity and what surely lies ahead for us.
     Let's hear it for the dreamers!
              Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment