Monday, March 23, 2015

Allowing Yourself to Rest

"Work when there is work to do. Rest when you are tired. One thing done in peace will most likely be better than ten things done in panic... I am not a hero if I deny rest; I am only tired."
                            --Susan McHenry

     I often remind my yoga students that they are not less of a human being if they choose to take a break or rest. This is true both on and off the yoga mat. Too often we get caught up in the need to empty our to-do list, bringing ourselves to exhaustion and frustration rather than satisfaction.
     It is a practice, and a worthwhile skill to develop, to take a rest when you need to. One more thing accomplished does not make you a better person. We are human BEings, not human DOings.
     If you are a parent, remember that you are setting an example for your children by your actions rather than your talk. Do you want your children to run themselves to exhaustion or to learn to live at a comfortable pace that they enjoy?
     I am a dedicated napper. I consider napping one of my hobbies. Occasionally a day goes by when I don't take a nap, and those days are noticeably less productive. Naptime is my "stop the world, I want to get off" time, and it clears my head for productive, late-afternoon tasks.
     Notice when you are tired. Recognize that you have a choice in what you do each moment of your life. Make the choice that brightens rather than dims your spirit. Practice, practice, practice!
               Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment