Saturday, November 8, 2014

"Good Death"

     I've just finished reading the very interesting book titled Smoke Gets in Your Eyes and Other Lessons from the Crematory. It was written by Caitlin Doughty, who has also created the website, Order of the Good Death. In the book, she states:
“For me, the good death includes being prepared to die, with my affairs in order, the good and bad messages delivered that need delivering. The good death means dying while I still have my mind sharp and aware; it also means dying without having to endure large amounts of suffering and pain. The good death means accepting death as inevitable, and not fighting it when the time comes.” (p. 222) 
This is Ms. Doughty's definition of a good death. What is your definition? 
     Oh, wait a minute. We don't like to think about such things. Trust me, there are a LOT of things in the book that I would never have thought of. We as a culture tend to hide death away and like to pretend it doesn't happen. But as Ms. Doughty wisely says, "We cannot possibly live without a relationship to our mortality..." It's in knowing that we'll be leaving here someday that we have the inspiration to live and love full-out. 
     I highly recommend the book! 
         Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment