Saturday, December 28, 2013

Perspective

     Somewhere along the way in my life, I became attached to the saying, "It's never so bad that it couldn't be worse." I think my dad used this to stay positive even if life wasn't so great at the time. I don't use this to minimize my own aggravations, or avoid self-care, but I do use it for perspective.
     We just returned from a wonderful Christmas holiday spent with our sons in Colorado. It was great to be together, but, alas, both my husband and I were ill on Christmas Day and days surrounding it. Well, that sucks. Then Christmas morning, looking at Facebook, I saw that a friend's brother passed away Christmas morning, this person also being a dad and grand-dad. Lots of folks mourning. Makes a virus pretty insignificant.
     We are so drama-oriented in our society. There's plenty of one-upmanship claiming, "my drama is bigger than yours!" Do we really want our (mostly petty) dramas to be our life story? What compels us to make sure others know about our "drama of the day?" Experience and deal with the truly life-changing, big events, like a loved-one's passing. Let the others go.
     Another saying I love is, "This, too, shall pass." If you let it...
Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment