Sunday, June 9, 2013

Il Dolce Far Niente

The title is Italian for "the sweetness of doing nothing," a phrase from the movie Eat, Pray, Love.
Doing nothing? Really?!?!? For so many of us, that's not even near our radar screen.
I have a voice in my head that incessantly says, "You should do more." My expanding self-awareness has led me to realize that I define the value of my being by how much I do and how successfully I do it (alas, as measured by money).
So I contemplate doing nothing. It's a challenge. I get to practice stopping that "You should do more" voice. I realize that there's always stuff to do, and there always will be, as long as I'm on the planet. So it's not like I'll get it all done, and then I can do nothing. I get to make the choice to just do nothing now. I smile realizing that the model I was raised with was, "Get the work done, then you can do fun stuff." Does that sound familiar?
Recently my husband and I have reinstated the practice of sitting in our beautiful backyard after he gets home from work, having a drink and talking, before we have dinner and head off into other things. This is a very sweet time, and to me there's nothing more important than "doing nothing" with the person I love most.
Is there some way to work just a bit of il dolce far niente into your daily routine? I expect your soul will sing with joy!
Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment