Friday, November 4, 2011

Stop apologizing for your existence!

This is the first in a series of "Lessons Learned in Forrest Yoga Teacher Training."
I spent the month of October in an intensive (to put it mildly!) yoga teacher training in Houston, Texas, with the wonderful yogi, Ana Forrest. The first learning directive I received was "stop apologizing for your existence!" How quickly Ana and her assistants saw through my exterior.   "Apologizing" is a pattern I've operated under since I was a young child. 
The most noticeable way this shows up is automatically saying "Sorry" even when it's not applicable or I don't mean it.  Other examples are saying "Sorry" about something over which I have no control, and for minor mistakes that are common to all and no big deal. Another is apologizing when I feel the need to ask for help. There's nothing wrong with asking for help!
I've found that a good way to become more aware of this tendency in myself is to notice when others say "Sorry," and note whether it's meaningful or simply automatic and unnecessary.  This helps me pay more attention to "Sorry" coming out of my mouth. 
It's an ongoing learning process, to be sure.  And I'm NOT sorry about that :)
Love and joy,
Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment