Friday, November 17, 2017

STUFF

      I often say that if the economy depended on my shopping to support it, we'd all be in deep trouble.
     A couple of years ago, over a period of several weeks, I took one room at a time and did major cleaning and stuff-purging. It was a lot of work, but it led to an awesome feeling of accomplishment and lightness. One result of this effort was my commitment not to bring more stuff into the house. Food, clothes I love, consumables--those things are OK. For "stuff" to get in the house, I have to really love it.
     An activity that supports my commitment is going to estate sales. I went to one this morning, a huge sale, where on the 3rd day, there was still an amazing amount of stuff. There was an entire room devoted to the former resident's love of red--glassware, dishes, statues, roses in the carpet, furniture. I love red more than most people, but this room (and the whole sale) really pushed my "too much stuff" button. There were even stacks of (cleaned) styrofoam meat trays from the grocery store. [If you have stacks of those, trust me, you don't need them. Get rid of them.] 
     Maybe it's my age, but less stuff makes for a simpler life, and that really appeals to me. I recently sold a sewing machine cabinet that came from my mother, and so far she has not haunted me. More important than the item, I have carried on her ability to sew, which she so patiently taught me. Skills and memories are a much finer legacy from those we love than is stuff. And now I can use the ultimate phrase related to all that "precious stuff"... you can't take it with you.
     Here's an idea... get rid of one thing every day. Hmmmm...
          Less is more,
                 Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment