Thursday, October 19, 2017

Painting Class Complete

     Last night I completed my 6-week painting class. I closed it off with much gratitude expressed to the instructor, Will, who patiently nurtured this complete rookie artist and taught me so much.
     One of the techniques he taught us was sgraffito, defined as "a technique used in painting, pottery, and glass, which consists of putting down a preliminary surface, covering it with another, and then scratching the superficial layer in such a way that the pattern or shape that emerges is of the lower color." My execution of this delightfully messy process went like this: I painted a piece of hardboard, then applied a mixture of Kilz and salt (yes, you read that correctly), then carved lines through it, let it dry, then painted it. Here it is (I'm going to put a shiny gloss on it, I think...see below):

     I am in a state of wavering between "I like it" and "it's butt-ugly." For what it's worth, Will, my instructor says it is not butt-ugly. Anyway, the jury is still out.
     Geez, who knew that painting was such a mental/emotional/spiritual challenge, besides having to learn all the technical stuff?!?! Anyway, I'm digging it!
     In living color,
          Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment