Saturday, January 23, 2016

Profound Words

     I'm including in this post two quotes from President Obama's 2016 State of the Union Address. While so many folks think the world is going to hell, these two statements show me how far we've come just in my lifetime on the slow journey toward world peace. I was born in 1955, and my early years were spent very much in a climate of war, and "bomb the hell out of them."
     This is different. President Obama quotes Pope Francis:
His Holiness, Pope Francis, told this body from the very spot I’m standing on tonight that “to imitate the hatred and violence of tyrants and murderers is the best way to take their place.” 
     And in his optimistic closing, the President said:
That’s the America I know. That’s the country we love. Clear- eyed, big-hearted, undaunted by challenge, optimistic that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word. That’s what makes me so hopeful about our future.
     For us to have a President that uses the phrases "unarmed truth" and "unconditional love"... holy cow!! Ultimately I believe that's the direction in which we all want to move, whether or not we use those particular words. I agree with President Obama, we have extraordinary reason to be so hopeful and excited about our future!
     Lovingly,
          Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment