Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Trying New Things

     I just returned from a long weekend on Table Rock Lake with great friends. I LOVE being near and IN the water. I love to swim. It doesn't even matter if the water temperature is on the chilly side.
     I had the chance for the first time to go out in a kayak. I'm not fond of canoeing, and I've heard scary tales of folks getting stuck in an overturned kayak and drowning. But I did it anyway. It was heaven! Peaceful, easy, an awesome way to hang out in nature and in the water.
     At the opposite end of the spectrum, I had the chance to drive a jetski. Everything about me is built for endurance, not speed, so the experience was, at the same time, terrifying and exhilarating. My friend on the other jetski was pointing out sites to me, but all I could see was her wake and trying to stay in it so my jetski wouldn't bounce on waves. Despite hanging on for dear life, I loved this adventure, too. I'm proud to say that I got the thing up to 30 mph.
     My fears in both instances were totally goofy. Really, the worst that could have happened is that I had fallen in the water.
     Maybe those fears that are holding you back are goofy, too. Start (or keep on) trying new things, and more and more fears simply fall away. It feels great!
     Boldly going where I've not gone before,
                     Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment