Friday, August 16, 2013

Please share an example of personal bravery

    I've been inspired to get a clearer picture and create a more unified "package" of what I do, and how I want to work/play in my life. The idea of "BRAVE" continues to come to me.
    I've jumped out of a perfectly good airplane. Yes, that was brave. But that was one event, and bravery to me shows up on a daily basis, in such things as having the courage to ask for what you need.
    I'd love for you to share examples of being brave.
    I offer a goofy example from my own life. I've avoided going to Sonic because I didn't know how the ordering stations work. I decided to be brave yesterday (with the inspiration of 1/2 price burgers for National Back to School Day) and go there. I pulled in, looked at the menu, and sat there. There is a red button on the ordering station, but no sign that says, "Press red button to order." I finally guessed that might be a necessary action, so I pressed the button. Nothing happened for several minutes, wherein I began to wonder if I just might not be smarter than a fast food menu/ordering station. Finally someone took my order, I got my food, and went on my merry way. Now I can easily go to Sonic since I know what to do.
Clearly, bravery doesn't have to be sky-diving big. And it can be quite comical.
    Please share an example.
Love,
Leta

1 comment:

  1. The first time I ever went river rafting on a tributary of the Colorado in the area of Royal Gorge, my husband -at that time- and I assumed per literature and pictures, that we would be in a ten-seater raft, with ten people. I have a disability that impairs my balance. So, it was comforting to my husband to think we would have lots of support for paddling or any walking to be done. We had told the raft company in advance and they assured us all would be well. So, when we got there our ten-man raft came with just one rafting guide, AND she had one leg in a cast from her toes to her knee! She proceeded to greet us with an air of confidence. My husband and I were only medium anxious until in the middle of the bus ride to the launch she handed us each a bucket and said, "use this if we have to bail water out of the raft." I was instantly so giddy with nerves, I got the giggles. Then my husband started laughing at the absurdity between what we thought was supposed to happen and what was happening. We did get time to voice our concerns before the three of us boarded the ten-man boat. She laughed with us a bit. Then she said the only part of the course that caused her concern in my case was the "Slidell Suck Hole." This was literally a rip-roaring toilet-bowl action whirlpool right in the middle of one set of rapids. I was most relieved when it was determined that we would go a-ground for lunch about a half mile before the suck hole and drop me off at a likely vantage point to watch the two of them brave it. Our guide said it was 50/50 on a day like that they could get dumped in the swirl. My husband was football player size and threw me over his shoulder fireman's carriage style, with my nose pointed straight at the ground, to carry me a mile or so from the raft to get me up high above the river to watch them go through it. Our guide was just tickled watching us do everything we did. Walking just behind us while I was hanging off his shoulder like a sack of potatoes, she kept retrieving my stocking cap as it got caught on bushes we passed with my head just above them. As it turned out, they did not get flushed down the suck hole. It was a thrill to watch them successfully navigate it from high above the river. On the way home, both my husband and I could not get over our incredible day, that we surely would never have gone for if anyone had told us it would be us and one --also partially, temporarily lame guide. It was and will remain among the greatest adventures of my life.

    ReplyDelete